26 September 2012

30 Days of Books- Day 26: A book that changed your opinion about something

[For the English translation see the text in grey below]


Ja, jag vet att jag har tjatat ganska mycket om den här boken, men äras den som äras bör. The Windup Girl av Paolo Bacigalupi är inte en favorit, men den har faktiskt fått mig att ändra min uppfattning om genmanipulerade produkter och kanske även min inställning till patenterade säden. Boken handlar om en gen spion. Han är i Bangkok för att komma åt Thailands fröbank åt företaget AgriGen som sysslar med genmanipulering. AgriGen har monopol på de flesta säden i välden och Thailand är en av de få länderna som inte är beroende av dem för att odla mat. 

Innan The Windup Girl hade jag inte tänkt så mycket på genmanipulerade produkter alls… eller jo, när City Gross körde den där kampanjen om att de var GMO-fria så tyckte jag att de ägnade sig åt vilseledande reklam eftersom GMO-produkter är väldigt hårt kontrollerade inom EU. I alla fall, nu sitter jag och försöker utbilda mig på ämnet — jag kan nog inte säga att jag är emot forskning kring genmodifiering i sig; men jag är emot hur de företagen som sysslar med det uppför sig. Som jag förstått det är dessa företag inte ansvartagande och de marknadsför sina produkter på ett oärligt sätt bara för att tjäna mer pengar, ofta är det fattiga bönder som får lida istället. Är man intresserad av ämnet, så kan man börja med att kolla in dokumentären The World According to Monsanto av Marie-Monique Robin, som finns på Youtube.

Fun fact: Visste ni att det finns en fröbank i Svalbard i Norge? I fall något händer…

I know that I've been bitching about this book quite a lot lately, I give credit where credit it due (I'm fair like that!). The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi is not one of my favorites, but I got me to change my mind about gene manipulated products and even my opinion with regards to patented seeds. The book is about a gene spy (as odd as that sounds). He is in Bangkok to get access the Thai seed bank for a genetic engineering company called AgriGen. AgriGen has a monopoly on most of the seeds in the world and Thailand is one of the few countries that is yet not dependent on AgriGen seeds to cultivate their food. 

Before The Windup Girl, I had really not given GMOs a second thought... well... I remember when a certain supermarket had ads about their products being GMO-free, which I thought was deceptive advertising since GMO products are tightly regulated by the EU, and thus the rules apply to all supermarkets and not just the one. Anyway, I'm now trying to educate myself more on this issue-- I can't really say that I'm against research in the are per se, but I'm against the fact that the companies in this industry behave so unscrupulously. It seems to me that these companies market their products in disingenuous way just to make more money, and often poor farmers fall for it and suffer dire consequences. If you're interested in this topic, I suggest watching the documentary "The World According to Monsanto" by Marie-Monique Robin, just Youtube it. 


Fun fact: Did you know that the Norwegian government has constructed a real life seedbank in Svalbard, Norway? Just in care something were to happen...

No comments:

Post a Comment