2 September 2012

30 Days of Books- Day 02: A book that I’ve read more than 3 times


[for the English translation, see the text in grey below]

The Perilous Gard av Elizabeth Marie Pope brukar jag läsa nästan varje år. Jag minns att jag köpte den när jag var 12 när min skola hade en bokloppis och jag blev förälskad i omslaget. Den här boken kommer jag aldrig att tröttna på; min kopia är nu sönderläst med en massa antäckningar vid marginalerna om karaktär analyser och storyns uppbyggnad. Ändå är det svårt att förklara varför jag tycker att den här boken är så bra…

Det har skrivits många retellings av Tam Lin legenden, och enligt mig är The Perilous Gard den bästa av dem. Kate är en cool hjältinna: hon är klumpig och inte alls vacker, men hon är intelligent, nyficken och praktisk av sig. Dialogen är rapp och jag älskar bokens mystiska stämning—som är utan några övernaturliga inslag. 






The Perilous Gard, by Elizabeth Marie Pope is a book that I read almost every year. I remember I bought it when I was 12, at my school's used books sale. I bought it because I fell in love with the cover. I will never get tired of it: my copy is now tattered and full of notes on the margins about character analysis and plot structure. Despite them, it's hard to explain why I think this books is soo good...

Many authors have done retelling of the Tam Lin legend, and according to me, The Perilous Gard is the best of them. Kate is a cool heroine: she's clumsy and extremely plain (which is worse than being ugly), but she's intelligent, curious and pragmatic. The dialogue in the book is witty and I love the book has this Gothic atmosphere- without venturing into the paranormal.

No comments:

Post a Comment